What is WMTT?
West Michigan Tech Talent (WMTT) is a group of employers, education providers and workforce experts focused on creating and sustaining a diverse pool of IT talent while promoting West Michigan as a thriving IT community.
WMTT accomplishes its goals through member participation in one or more workgroups:
- GROW: reaching out to students K-16 to promote IT careers, ensuring that under-represented groups have equitable access
- DEVELOP: upskilling our current workforce and adult career changers
- RECRUIT & RETAIN: partnering with Hello West Michigan to create IT specific recruitment campaigns to fill in-demand occupations
- Marketing & Communications: branding West Michigan as an IT hub & promoting existing organizations focused on IT talent expansion in the region
- Funding: raising funds to support our initiatives including grants and sponsorships
There is a shortage of qualified IT talent in our region, and it is only expected to grow in the coming years. Without a concerted effort, the talent gap will continue to grow. Enter West Michigan Tech Talent.
WMTT began in 2014, when several technology employers met with training providers and community partners to think about how to address the emerging IT talent gap. As the need for additional talent continued to grow, it was clear that an expanded effort was needed to create a sustainable talent pipeline. In 2016, several founding members worked towards creating a formal board of industry leaders to guide our future efforts.